Monday, March 9, 2015

The Armor of God

Well, where to start...First of all this week we had our district meeting and the whole district decided to go on splits for three days.  It turned out great, the whole district had a bunch of success and it was super fun to get to know Hermana Leavitt for three days.  We had a ton of success in the Falda this week but we had to drop a few of our investigators and are working hard to find new references with many contacts in the streets.  



During the district meeting, I've watched a short video called, "The Atonement", by Elder Holland and President Uchtdorf.  I remember watching it twice before the mission and then this was my first time during the mission.  You understand it in a different perspective every time.  This time I understood how important the responsibility of the priesthood is and as a missionary the "Authority" we have to teach the gospel.  That we are "Called" and set apart by "God".  How crazy is that!  Something also stuck out to me was that as missionaries the work is NOT  EASY.  Especially when people are mocking us and laughing or slamming doors in our faces.  But that God is standing right next to us as they are doing the same to Him.  I noticed 3 points that I loved:  1.  When we communicate to God, give thanks (gratitude) 2.  Ask what you can do...(What can I do that needs to be done)  3.  Promise Him that you will do it.  I encourage everyone to watch this short message as it will touch your lives as it did mine.  This week we also had stake conference and "ruban" one of our investigators came to listen and it turned out great!  Our President and Hermana Parreno spoke and right when Hermana Parreno got up to speak she said, "I'm so happy to be here but for how short I am this plant in front of the pulpit is taller than I am, so I'm just going to use the little kid stool"  Ha!  She is so great!  She has the best sense of humor but gave such a powerful talk. It probably threw everyone over the edge.  She may be little but has a heart filled with a very strong spirit!!  This week we also planned a family Home Evening for all of the young adults, investigators, and recent converts as well as members who have young kids.  



We centered it around "The Armor of God".  We found random clothes and dressed one of the girls in her "Armor of God" apparel.  We based it on the talk, "Prepared Against the Day of Battle".  "May we by placing our trust in the Savior, the Lord of Hosts, be prepared and not stumble on the field of battle.  We applied it to the gospel and how the world is a battle field especially for the young ones.  At the end of the talk, it mentions some principles we should do at home.  "What practices are missing in our lives and our family?  Are we neglecting personal or family prayer?   Diligent study of the scriptures?  Service to our brothers and sister?  Sabbath day observance?  Temple worship?  Love for our neighbors?"  At home, what are we lacking?  What is it that we need to work better on and firmly in our lives?  We CAN study our scriptures but NOT say our prayers, and it is like going to the battle field without a helmet!  We aren't properly prepared.  We need to remember to use the FULL Armor of God and be prepared to stand against our enemies!

D&C 27:15-18
15 Wherefore, lift up your hearts and rejoice, and gird up your loins, and take upon you my whole armor, that ye may be able to withstand the evil day, having done all, that ye may be able to stand.
 16 Stand, therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, having on the breastplate of righteousness, and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace, which I have sent mine angels to commit unto you;
 17 Taking the shield of faith wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked;
 18 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of my Spirit, which I will pour out upon you, and my word which I reveal unto you, and be agreed as touching all things whatsoever ye ask of me, and be faithful until I come, and ye shall be caught up, that where I am ye shall be also. Amen.


Homework:  The video, "The Atonment"
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/topics/atonement?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment