Monday, May 19, 2014

Called to serve

The last 5 months have been a whirl-wind of preparations, farewells, and many “see you later's.”  I never thought that my departure date of May 21 would arrive, but now it is just around the corner.

I have noticed that many people have asked me the question, “What made you decide to go on a mission?” I have always heard that going on a mission changes lives. People always told me about how much I would learn and about the person that I would become. Although as many of you know, just a couple years ago many young women didn’t go on missions, it was always something that the “young men” had the responsibility to do. As time went on I always loved listening to returned missionaries and hearing all of their amazing experiences, knowledge of the scriptures, and testimony of the gospel. I wanted what they had and HUNGERED for it!!! The desire to go on a mission began to grow in me. This was something that I wanted. 

Many people ask, “Are you nervous?” “What are you most scared of?” or “Are you ready?”
I know that there will be hard times and that it will take a lot of effort. I am wiling. I know I will have to walk countless hours, carrying heavy books, wearing out many pairs of shoes. I am prepared. I know I will have to learn a new language and communicate this precious message of the gospel in a way that I have never done before. I know that many people will not listen. I know that many of my brothers and sisters that I come to rescue will close the door in my face, and by doing so, reject their savior. I know I am going to have moments of fear, discouragement, and loneliness. But I also know that the Lord will help me.

Another question I get asked frequently is Why I am choosing to leave my family when it is not my "duty," or why I am choosing to go when I am so old.........almost 22. HaHa My answer to them is quite simple. Love. I LOVE my Savior, Jesus Christ and I want to SERVE Him full time. I LOVE God's children and want them to feel the same joy that I feel by coming unto Jesus Christ through faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. I LOVE the Temple and want people to be sealed to their families for all eternity. I LOVE the gospel of Jesus Christ and am humbled that I have the opportunity to share it with others and a great desire to open my mouth and declare the truth to all of the Argentine people.

All of you who have thought of, thinking about, or haven't even thought of a mission. Get down on your knees and just ask. Even if it's just once. I was in your same shoes. For almost 5 years a little piece of serving the Lord was waiting deep down in my heart. I felt lost, until that moment I began to fall on my knees. Don't worry about the little things, don't worry about being the best missionary, talking in front of millions of people, or being that person that knows all of the bible stories. Christ knows your worries, he knows your strengths, and he is willing to help. There is nothing greater then the moment I decided to go on a mission. My world had changed. When you love the Lord so much that you will do anything for him, that there is nothing else in this world that would change your mind, because you Love Him more then anyone else.

I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church on the earth today. I know that The Book of Mormon is the word of God. I love the scriptures and study and ponder on them daily. I know that we have a living prophet on the earth today, President Thomas S. Monson, and that he leads and guides us. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer. He is the center of my life. Because of His great sacrifice, I know that I can return to my Father in Heaven as I repent and strive to be better. I know that the Temple is the House of the Lord and that families can be together forever. I know that the family is ordained of God. I know that The Church is true. I have made the big decision to go to Argentina and preach the gospel because I have a great desire for everyone to hear the truth. I know it will be difficult. I know that I will be doing things that I have never done before. I know that the Lord will be with me and as I am worthy of it, He will give me His guidance and direction. I know that this is the Lord's work and He is letting me be but an instrument in His hands.

Thanks for following my journey on this Argentine Adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment