Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Why Me?

So I totally ate cow tongue this week! I'm starting to realize the more I understand the language, the more I realize what I'm actually eating! Haha. This week my companion and I got together with our mission leader in the ward and we put together a bunch of ideas to help the ward and the members with missionary work! There are lots of strong members and youth and leaders and we want to start getting them more involved in missionary work and in the ward. My companion and I prayed for much help and guidance from the lord and we wanted to involve PMG, family home evening, and even seminary! I'm excited because I am able to get to know the members more and become acquainted with them and the youth as well!! 

This week we also had a reference from one of our members about a family that has been struggling because the husband has a very bad sickness. They had many questions for us, the family had questions like, "Why me?" "Why does my husband struggle with this sickness?" "Why did God give us this trial?" My companion and I got to know them really well and they had such warm hearts. The husband reminded me so much of my great grandpa Randall! Always happy and cheerful, cracking jokes even at 100 years old! Lots of struggles, and old age, and sicknesses were involved but he still had a wonderful spirit. This family had lots of faith and knew God loved them. They are very strong Christian members but just wanted more answers. We shared with them a story in the Book of Mormon and experiences of trials.  But stressed that the most important thing is that God understands your trials right now and that His atonement is an example of his love for us and what we are going through. 

There are so many people who struggle with sickness, finances, divorce, and much more. Many questions come to mind like, why me? Why would God do this to me? As I was studying, I realized we can change those questions to, "What blessings come after this trial in my life?" "What can I learn form this?" Or "What am I to do?" Everyone has different trials and some many be harder than others, but we need to put our trust in God. 

ALMA 36:3
And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.

As we go through these struggles, it makes us stronger. God hasn't forgotten us, He knows what we are going through and we forget sometimes that God suffered the same hardships.

ALMA 7:11-12
11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
 12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.
Christ loves all of His children and wants to help each and everyone of us when we exercise patience and faith. In Christ, the best part about faith in Christ is that we receive blessings during these trials in our lives and after!!!

D&C 58:2-4
 For verily I say unto you, blessed is he that keepeth my commandments, whether in life or in death; and he that is faithful in tribulation, the reward of the same is greater in the kingdom of heaven.
 Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation.
 For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand.
This week we also taught another family and many people.  I have learned so much by the questions our investigators ask. I have understood that the more I serve the Lord, the more I understand His plan for us and how much my testimony for this gospel is growing each day because of it. I love my Heavenly Father and everything He does for me. I know this gospel is true and I love His plan that He has for us. 

Homework: Mosiah 24 in the Book of Mormon

Feeding a Little One

 

No comments:

Post a Comment